Bad breath can be caused by many things. Broadly, it can be a problem in our mouth, or it can be a problem with our general digestion and health. Often it is a symptom of a more serious issue, but even by itself bad breath is something best removed.
- Strong foods, such a curry, spice, garlic. This can clear up after a day or two if we are not regular eaters.
- Too much processed food. This is a long term problem. Changing to a natural diet is healthier, but the bad breath may take a few weeks to change.
- Tooth Decay. A serious problem that must be dealt with immediately
- An abscess – This is serious enough to be life threatening.
- Infected gums. Painful, and serious enough to cause missing teeth.
- Wisdom teeth can cause gum problems that lead to bad breath.
- Food caught in teeth and gums. This is unpleasant at first, a cause of serious decay latter on.
- Serious illness. A doctor should be consulted.
- Kidney issues are serious, and bad breath is a symptom of this.
- Diabetics notice bad breath.
- Medications – sometime medications taken for a condition can cause a dry mouth and bad breath.
- The bacteria in the obese expel a strong gas.
- Tonsil problems, such a calcified food, will cause bad breath.
- Some genetic problems cause body odour and bad breath
- Allergies can cause bad breath
- Dehydration pushes our body to operate too hard, and compromises health and our breath.
- Brushing and flossing are always beneficial and essential. But this will not remove all breath problems.
- Use a tongue scraper.
- Drink more water. Add lemon to some diet, but rinse afterward.
- Eat more steamed vegetables and fresh fruit.
- Gradually increase the high fibre food in your diet.
- Gargle salt water and antibacterial mouthwash.
- Chew sugar-free gum.
- Limit strong smelling food.
- Reduce alcohol and quit smoking.
- Drink tea, especially green tea.
- Add a daily teaspoon of chlorophyll to you diet. This de-odorizes your whole body.
- Have a test for possible allergies.
- Talk to your doctor if you suspect a health problem
If wisdom teeth are causing you problems have them seen to.
Dental Problems and Bad Breath
Talk to us at Dental Focus. We treat clients at Strathfield, Wentworthville, Wetherill Park, Smithfield, Parramatta, Merrylands, Homebush, Guildford, Greystanes, Granville and Fairfield.